Friday, January 27, 2017

Dropshipping for Award Travel

Off to The Races

I mentioned in a previous blog post, Ways to Make Money On The Side, that I had planned to start a business around dropshipping products I buy from wholesaler on Amazon.com.  Well that plan had been brewing for at least 6 months subconsciously in my mind before finally coming to fruition early this year.  I got started after receiving some education on the topic on the internet.  I then took action and found one dropshipper I use called SunriseWholesale which is pretty neat because they integrate in with Amazon quite well without much hassle so you can be up in running with inventory on Amazon.com in hours.  That said, I am still yet to sell one single item on Amazon.com to date.  Competition on pricing is fierce to the point I wonder how do these resellers make any money after Amazon takes its 15% cut.  It seemed to me that they must be selling at a loss which isn't a very profitable business.  I know they have to be making something and they either have a better wholesaler than me, or it could be the wholesaler in competition with me.  

The Idea

Although, I am not in this to make a killing, I would like to make a little profit or break even.  I say that because I can in some cases profit without profiting in terms of earning points/miles or cashback that I wouldn't have otherwise.  I realized this was another way to manufacture spend greater than the normal amount of money my household would spend.  Imagine, for me, it's like me and friend going out to dinner and I saying, "I'll pay for whatever you get with my credit card and you can pay me later".  I in turn get a few extra points/miles I wouldn't have otherwise gotten.  Conceptual wise that is the what I hope my dropshipping for award travel will do for me, in addition, to earning me a few coins.  In actual sense, a customer, buys a product from my store on Amazon.com, but Amazon doesn't pay right away, so I have to front the money/credit on your behalf to my wholesaler which in turn will fulfill and ship the product to the customer. It is exactly like what the picture shows above.  

The Payoff

The customer is happy they got the product and I just manufactured points/miles for future travel that I won't have to come as much out of pocket for because those extra points offset real dollars I would normally be required to spend. I am by no means saying points/miles are money, though cashback is, they do have a value to purchase things, such as airfare and hotel accommodations, which would have otherwise cost us money. So, profit in the normal sense is not my complete motivation as much as it is to offset the cost of future travel I would have to otherwise come out of my pocket for.  I don't know about you, but I want to travel and vacation alot!!  When spending $2000 - $5000 on a vacation for a couple once a year, though the experience and memories may be fantastic, those are dollars you can now never earn a rate of return on.  They are gone!  Since it was for leisure, I used to look at that money as disposable income, but with the financial pressures growing on poor and middle class families, do we really have any income that we can just throw away?  If we, no longer just disposed of our money but re-positioned it into an investment vehicle like stocks purchased on Loyal3 or Motif because points/miles could pay for our leisure wouldn't we be so much better off? In my mind, if I could cause the normal spending of someone else to, in essence, become my own in order to generate additional points/miles/cashback than I have given my family more of an opportunity for mo' better vacations and finances for today and in the future.  

Closing

In closing this blog post wasn't intended to teach or go into great depth on how to dropship, but to demonstrate that dropshipping could give you an additional opportunity to get award travel.  You may not yet be to this level of thinking about award travel because you are new to this, but I have listed links below with information that can get you on the path to getting that next vacation of yours for nearly "free" and once you are hooked, you will see that this idea may be more up your lane to assisting in getting you more award travel.
PS: Please share your experience if you are already dropshipping
for award travel or have questions by leaving a comment on this post.  Also please be sure to share this content with your friends and family if you find it useful.  I thank you in advance.  You can also see what topics are on deck to the right.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC